Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dogs may have ingested rat ask 3 days ago. they are

Customer Question

My dogs may have ingested rat ask 3 days ago. they are maltese pomeranian breed. They appear to be fine at the moment no vomiting or blood in their urine etc. Does it seem likely that they will still be poisoned
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

Can you clarify "rat ask" for me; the active ingredient if possible?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
rat ask sorry...typo I'm not sure of the ingredients but there was a mince meatball with rat ask ground in to it that was uneaten. Would this suggest that they did not eat the poison.

You didn't mention what "rat ask" was supposed to be. If the rodenticide contained an anticoagulant, bleeding from any orifice can arise up to 4 days later. Bleeding in the chest cavity would present as a dog with an increased respiratory rate - taking more than 30 breaths/minute while asleep. If the rodenticide contained bromethalin instead, nervous signs are seen within the first day - agitation, hyperexcitability, tremors, and seizures are possible. Less commonly, a hind leg paresis (weakness) can set in up to 5 days or more later.

It's most likely that they'll remain well but they're not out of the woods quite yet.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can a vet do anything at this stage or is there something that I can do at home. What would you suggest. And thank you so much for your help.

A vet can check your dogs' bleeding times (PT, PTT testing) to see if an anticoagulant rodenticide toxicity occurred. Bromethalin is a wait and see toxicity at this point and then treated symptomatically and supportively if need be. You're quite welcome. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thank you will get them checked asap.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.