Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

12 week old puppy lucky up some baking soda, the exact

Customer Question

12 week old puppy lucky up some baking soda, the exact amount is uncertain. He then drank water....
He was at the vet earlier in the day for deworming. He took the medication with his dinner prior to the incident.
His belly was bloated and gassy already before the baking soda.
He is resting, but I just don't know what to look for. Will he be okay? Is it just discomfort?
I do not have funds for Vet or poison control, but I need to know what I can do. I'm in over my head here.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Please don't be too concerned about this, a small amount of baking soda { Say one teaspoon } is not going to be toxic to even a small dog if ingested, there are no special measures you need take in this situation other than just keeping an eye on him. The chances are this will not affect Lucky too much although with some dogs you may see a mild transient bout of vomiting and / or diarrhoea.

2. However I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the unlikely event that Lucky's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is it safe to give him water?
He looks like he might throw up soon (a little gagging)
Will the medications interfere or make it more severe? He took meds for worms about an hour before the baking soda. He seems just a little weaker and tired.

Hello again,

Glad to talk this over with you further.

Yes it is fine to give him water, the baking soda may cause some vomiting but I would not expect that to be too serious.

The baking soda should not affect the other meds he had, but please get back to me if things change ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank You.As of now he is sleeping and doing okay .

That sounds very encouraging, the chances are he will be just fine ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Lucky is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the baking soda ingestion ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hi Cieraciera,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?