Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
Thanks for your question. Did you make this cake? Did you use, milk, dark or baking chocolate? Was there a ganache icing? How many ounces would you say your girl could have eaten in total? How long ago did she eat these?
I will wait to hear from you.
Thanks for that - I'm typing up a response now.
Hi again,Thank you for your patience. Because this was a store bought chocolate cake - likely with dark or even baking chocolate with relatively big slices for a small breed dog, it would certainly be safest to get her to vomit these back up. There are several ways to induce vomiting, however 3% hydrogen peroxide is the most effective. As it has been about half an hour - she will likely vomit this up pretty easily. You can read about how to induce vomiting in dogs online here:http://www.petplace.com/dogs/how-to-induce-vomiting-emesis-in-dogs/page1.aspx
If she doesn't vomit, or vomits but not much cake comes up, you will need to keep an eye out for mild to moderate symptoms of chocolate toxicity which could include restlessness, increased thirst, panting, vomiting, diarrhea and tremors. If any of these symptoms develop, then get her seen by your ER vet straight away. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!Kind Regards,Dr EPS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.