Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

My Shitsu dog, approx. 15 lbs. just ate two pieces of

Customer Question

My Shitsu dog, approx. 15 lbs. just ate two pieces of chocolate pound cake.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Gigi, 6 years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gigi?
Customer: I'm pretty sure it was her. I have another dog, Rambo, a 14 year old male Yorkie. He was present, but I'm not sure if he ate any. I think it was Gigi. She is most likely to steal something when we are not looking.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question. Did you make this cake? Did you use, milk, dark or baking chocolate? Was there a ganache icing? How many ounces would you say your girl could have eaten in total? How long ago did she eat these?

I will wait to hear from you.

Dr E

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did not make the cake - it was store bought in Publix. It is like pound cake, dark, moist chocolaty. Don't know how many ounces, but approx. 1.5" x 3" in size, approx. 1/2" thick. No icing. She ate two pieces, approx. 15 minutes ago. Currently she is lying down and is calm.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for that - I'm typing up a response now.

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. Because this was a store bought chocolate cake - likely with dark or even baking chocolate with relatively big slices for a small breed dog, it would certainly be safest to get her to vomit these back up. There are several ways to induce vomiting, however 3% hydrogen peroxide is the most effective. As it has been about half an hour - she will likely vomit this up pretty easily. You can read about how to induce vomiting in dogs online here:

If she doesn't vomit, or vomits but not much cake comes up, you will need to keep an eye out for mild to moderate symptoms of chocolate toxicity which could include restlessness, increased thirst, panting, vomiting, diarrhea and tremors. If any of these symptoms develop, then get her seen by your ER vet straight away. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc