Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is very lethargic and pooped out blood and

Customer Question

my dog is very lethargic and pooped out blood and doesn't get excited when she sees me (which she usually does)
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
my dog is very lethargic, doesn't have an energy to get up, and stool is very wet and liquidy and has blood and doesn't get excited when she sees me (which she usually does). She also yelped when i lightly pet the side of her face.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

The hematochezia (blood in the stool) you're seeing usually arises from an ulcerative colitis although it's also seen with pancreatitis, hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, certain intestinal parasites, a host of metabolic disorders, and toxicities. It's a danger sign which should prompt your having your dog attended to by her vet at your earliest convenience. To determine how urgent this matter is I need you to check her vital signs for me...

1) Check her gum and tongue color. They should be nicely pink - not whitish (anemia) or bluish/greyish (cyanosis/hypoxia/lack of oxygen to her tissues).

2) Check her respiratory rate . She should be taking less than 30 breaths/minute while asleep or at rest.

3) Take her rectal temperature. Any body thermometer will do when placed 1.5" into her rectum for 1 minute. Normal is 100.5-102.5F. This is a two person job!

Please let me know what you find.