Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My dog will not eat. She is an 8 year old coton de tulear.

Customer Question

My dog will not eat. She is an 8 year old coton de tulear. She had thrown up yellow bile yesterday. We have tried all her favourites to try and get her to eat something, but nothing is working.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long since the last time she vomited?

2- Is she lethargic?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- How much does she weigh?

5- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
1. This morning around 6AM
2. Low energy
3. She has had an upset stomach before. It's not uncommon with her bread.
4. 21 pounds
5. Not eating, which is highly unusual for her. Throwing up. And very quiet.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, she is not eating because she does not feel well. The big question here that will explain why she is not eating is: Why is she vomiting? Vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. To determine the exact underlying cause she will need a hands on examination with family veterinarian. She may also need some testing like xrays or blood work to determine the exact underlying cause. In the meantime in any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 3-4 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 3-4 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We do sometimes catch her trying to eat poop outside and plants. Last night we did catch her as she was trying to eat plants from a pot but we were unsure if she actually ate anything or was just attempting to when caught.

Eating plants certainly can cause gastrointestinal symptoms and depending on the type of plant some could be toxic. Eating feces could cause her to vomit but normally it will not interfere with appetite.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter

Hi Amanda,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Paco. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter