Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog is soo itchy. She has a rated off hair on her nd area

Customer Question

My dog is soo itchy. She has a rated off hair on her hind area and tail. I feel she has a skin infection. Is he is so miserable. She is a Cav. King Charles. She has had an skin infection before. Wanted to give her her left over antibiotic and possibly a Benadryl
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. How old is Soo?
Customer: Chloe is 10.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Soo?
Customer: I just started her back on comfortis this week. It took 3 weeks to arrive. She is synchronized a mess now :(
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: Sorry. Such a mess now
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Has she created a sore on her skin?

2- Have you checked for fleas?

3- How much does she weigh?

4- How long has this been going on?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
1- she doesn't really have any sores. Just bald spots
2- I have completely redone her room new carpet and used a flee fogger and got Ned bedding I haven't seen any flees on her.
3- she weighs about 19 lbs
4- a month. I stated her back on comfortis yesterday. I ordered it by mail it took 3 weeks to get here though I'm sending 2 pictures of her back side.

Thank you for the picture; Is the skin becoming thick and black on the left side?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not black at all. Just skin looks like she was shaved. It's black splotchy because hair has grown back in little areas. She just won't stop scratching and rolling around to itch herself

1- Did she have fleas?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I treated it like she did have flees but I have yet to see a single one.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We have dogs. Our male dog is not itching or doesn't have same symptoms I sent pic to show how long hair usually is
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Chloe is on right

Friend, the area where she is itchy and losing hair is consistent with Flea Allergic Dermatitis (FAD). The thing with dogs with FAD is that it only takes 1 flea to bite the dog to cause the entire inflammation and itching so very often we don't find any fleas. I am going to make some recommendations below, if she does not show significant improvement within 1-2 days I would have her checked by family veterinarian for a hands on examination including a blood test to check her thyroid hormone levels. In addition, she may benefit from a short course of corticosteroids. Keep in mind it will take months for all of the hair to grow back.

1- Start her on Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 25mg every 12 hours for the next 1-2 weeks.

2- Supplement with omega-3 fatty acids; you can buy this over the counter in any pet store, give at label dose

3- Put an ecollar (cone) on her to stop her from scratching. You can buy an ecollar (cone) over the counter in any pet store.

4- If no improvement within 1-2 days I would have her checked by family vet as discussed above.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.