Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

She was vomiting about 10 times last night and the last one

Customer Question

she was vomiting about 10 times last night and the last one had blood
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: i took her to the emergency room and they gave her fluids, avianm anzemet and famotidine
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: i think she may have as my neice and nephew were here over the weekend but I wasnt around
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: me me 10
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

Vomiting in dogs can be due to many things including:
1. gastroenteritis (inflammation/ irritation/ infection of gastro-intestinal tract)
2. dietary indiscretion
3. foreign body obstruction
4. pancreatitis (infection of pancreas gland)
5. organ/ endocrine abnormality
6. cancer in older dogs

The blood is not too uncommon after vomiting multiple times, as the stomach and esophagus will be irritated ooze a bloody fluid.

We typically shoot x-rays to rule out an obstruction and run bloodwork to rule out pancreatitis and organ disease.

The majority of cases will be due to a non-specific gastroenteritis and conservative care at home can often relieve the signs.

This is what I would do for now:
1. Withhold food and water until he goes 6-8 hours without vomiting
2. Give over the counter Pepcid AC (Famotidine) at a dose of 0.25 mg per lb every 12-24 hours
3. After the fasting period you can try either a bland diet of broiled chicken/ hamburger and rice. If not available, you can just give small frequent meals (3-4 meals/day rather than 1-2 meals/day). If any diarrhea is noted, you can also give 1-2 teaspoons of canned pumpkin with the meals. The extra fiber helps firm up loose stool and promote normal colon motility.
4. This will usually resolve the signs in 2-3 days if a non-specific gastroenteritis.

If that does not help, then bloodwork and x-rays may be indicated to rule out other causes and getting an exam and work up would be ideal.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?