Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My 9 year old Shih Tzu, has a very swollen nipple, warm to

Customer Question

My 9 year old Shih Tzu
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: has a very swollen nipple
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the's name?
Customer: warm to the touch
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the animal?
Customer: Her name is Bella
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Is she spayed?

3- Did the swelling come on quickly or gradually over weeks?

4- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
1 - About 2 weeks.
2- No.
3- It appears to me and my dog walker to have come on fairly quickly
4- No

1- Is she licking the nipple?

2- Are you seeing or feeling a lump?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Just seeing the lump

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, when we see swelling of a nipple in an intact mature female dog it is always a bit of a concern because it could be a sign of underlying tumor (breast cancer). Could there be other causes? Yes, there could be infections (mastitis), insect bites, etc. as possible causes. However, because breast cancer is within the list of possible causes it is best to always have this checked by a veterinarian and not wait. There are many different types of mammary gland tumors and the sooner we are able to get to them the better the prognosis. If she does have a tumor besides surgically removing the tumor she will need to be spayed as well to remove the hormones produced by the ovaries that promote the growth of such tumors. Unfortunately not much I can recommend for you to try at home that will have a significant therapeutic benefit in this case, I am sorry. If cost is a concern I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.