Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I have a toy poodle who is 14 years old. I noticed yesterday

Customer Question

I have a toy poodle who is 14 years old. I noticed yesterday that the skin of the penis is turning black. What can cause this
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

The hyperpigmentation you're seeing usually arises from either chronic bacterial and/or allergic inflammation of the skin. A yeast (Malassezia) infection should also be a consideration when skin darkens to the extent you've mentioned. There's also a sex hormone dermatosis seen in intact male dogs who suffer from excessive production of sex hormones usually caused by testicular tumors. Can you upload a photo(s) of this area to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.