Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

Gabby, I spoke with you before about my pitbull/ bulldog

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Gabby, I spoke with you before about my pitbull/ bulldog kippy. I think he may have eaten something that's causing digestive issues. He's had explosive diarrhea for about a week now. I put him on a chicken and rice diet for a few days but it didn't help at all. He has no loss of energy, his personality hasn't changed at all. He just can't control his bowels and none of it is solid.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am sorry but Dr. Gabby is not online but I would like to help. Poor Kippy has a digestive disturbance causing this diarrhea and the best treatment for this is as follows:

Fast Kippy for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down. Water is ok.
Give him Imodium AD at ½ caplet per 15 pounds of weight every 8 hrs.
After the fast, feed a meal of rice and boiled chicken (2/1) for a couple days.

If this has resolved, wean sweet Kippy onto regular food. If this persists, have your vet examine your guy. Even the dehydration from this can be serious and then your vet will determine the cause so treatment can be initiated correctly. There are other conditions such as parasites or protozoas that can cause this diarrhea as well and your vet will need to test Kippy for this. In most cases, in such a young guy, this treatment is effective.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it does, I'll try that. Thank you so much!

Excellent...I hope poor Kippy feels better soon! This must be so hard on him and you!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** I.

My fingers are crossed for you but I have seen it work great many times....:-)))