Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing, Veterinarian
Experience:  General veterinarian with a special interest in internal medicine and emphasis on individualized care.
24928096

He didnt eat at all yesterday, came home from work and he

Customer Question

He didnt eat at all yesterday, came home from work and he had thrown up everywhere. They were small piles of yellow liquid and foam sometimes. I did a thorough search and couldnt find anything that he ever got into to get him sick. He drank just a little bit of water this morning but was getting sick every hour or so since last night.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: He had new treats this last week but that was the only thing that was recent
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ninja and 2 1/2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ninja?
Customer: the only thing would be that he has a sensitive stomach to begin with and hes been on his current food for over a year
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok thank you
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 5 months ago.

Hi there,

I'mCustomerand I would be glad to help with your question about Ninja: I'm sorry to hear he is ill. Vomiting very frequently is concerning and leads to dehydration which will make Ninja feel even worse. It is also difficult to recommend any at home remedies with such frequent vomiting because anything you give orally is likely to be vomited before it has time to act. For this reason, I would recommend that you take Ninja to his vet for an exam. Based on the findings of his exam, they will either provide outpatient treatment such as injectable medication for nausea and fluids under the skin to maintain hydration or they may recommend other diagnostics such as blood work and x-rays. Causes of frequent vomiting can range from gastritis that will usually resolve easily with basic treatment but frequent vomiting can also be the result of something more serious such as pancreatitis or obstruction of the inestinal tract. More serious conditions such as intestinal tract obstruction need to be recognized and treated immediately to avoid potentially life threatning complications. For this reason, if Ninja has a fever, abdominal pain or is very depressed, your vet is likely to recommend x-rays today.

If you are unable to take Ninja to the vet today, the best thing you can do for him is keep him in a temperature controlled environment and give him Pepcid AC (i.e. over the antacid with the generic name famotidine) at 5mg per 10 pounds of body weight. If he can keep that down for a couple of hours, then you can offer him small amounts of water or ice cubes. If/when there has been no vomiting for 8-12 hours, then you can offer small amounts of a bland diet such as baked white chicken breast without skin or fat and white rice every 4 hours. However, all that being said, if there is any way to go to a vet today, then that is the best way to try and restore Ninja's good health. The frequency of his vomiting may indicate something is seriously wrong and better safe than sorry.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful. Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if you have more questions or would like additional information. It is my goal to provide you with the most complete information possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Sincerely,

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thank you, ***** ***** try the antacid stuff first as he is not acting depressed or fatigued or anything like that. He still gets excited.. not like he used to but a little. We will try that first with the bland rice and chicken diet since its been 24 hours since he ate last

I'm glad to hear he isn't depressed. Hopefully he will be able to keep the Pepcid down. Please let me know if you have other questions. If you were satisfied with my service, then please provide a positive rating as this is my only means of compensation.

Thanks so much & Get Well Soon to Ninja,

Customer/p>
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 4 months ago.

How is Ninja doing? Please let me know when you have a chance.

Thanks,

Customer/p>