Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog ate a piece of. will it make m sick?

Customer Question

my dog ate a piece of amber. will it make him sick?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 4 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Is this a piece of an amber rock? How big do you think? How big is the dog?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
a piece of amber rock. about 2.5 inches long,,about inch wide. The dog weighs about 20 lbs
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This pieces measures 1 1/8 inch by 3/4 inch by 5/16 inch

Ok. Well that is a decent sized piece. Honestly, is it going to make him sick or be a problem? That is unknown. It could sit in the stomach and just be too big to start to pass into the intestines. If it just sits in the stomach and doesn't move, it may not be a problem. Could he at some point vomit it up? Could it start to pass and pass all the way through? Could it get stuck? Signs of a blockage are vomiting, loss of appetite for over 24 hours and / or abdominal discomfort. IN situations like this, one thing I would throw out there is if he truly ate it. I've had numerous similar situations where "things" are thought to be ate, but they weren't. An x-ray with your vet can confirm if it was truly eaten.