Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My dog was outside 2 hours. I live in a rural area with alot

Customer Question

My dog was outside for about 2 hours. I live in a rural area with alot of bush. I went to get him and he didn't want to get up but I finally got him to get up and come inside the house. Joe he us just laying on his side being unresponsive and not able to get up.
What could be wrong with him ??
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today.

1) Is Bowser still laying on his side, unresponsive?
2) Is he resting? sleeping? comatose?
3) Any swelling or obvious injury?
4) Any chance he ate something in the brush?
5) How warm is it in your area? Is he panting?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He is still laying down. He is lifting his head and even got up to eat some food but then he later back down. It's possible he ate a couple small tomatoes plants. He is not panting it was in the evening so the heat wasn't bad.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There is no apparent injuries and he seems to be resting with some sleeping involved

The fact that he's laying down but willing to get up and eat is a good sign. It could be that he simply isn't feeling well. His symptoms aren't very specific in telling us what could be wrong.

If you aren't seeing any vomiting, diarrhea or change in his desire to eat or drink, I would give him some time to rest and see if this is just exhaustion. If his symptoms worsen or you become concerned, taking him to the vet would not be a bad idea. Watch for symptoms that suggest more complications: vomiting, diarrhea, intestinal cramping, seizures, the pet acting comatose (entirely unresponsive), swelling on any part of the body, etc.

If you need further help, I'll be around today to help you determine if he needs to see the vet or not. Just reply back to this thread.