Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a nine month old german shepherd. He got tick fever

Customer Question

I have a nine month old german shepherd. He got tick fever recently and now my Vet recommended Deca durabolin for him saying he has a liver damage. I want to know whether this can be cured? My dog's RBC is low as well. Kindly kelp. Thank you!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Shadow
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Shadow?
Customer: NO. No other medical history
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 8 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about your puppy having tick fever. How is he doing now?

What is being used to treat the tick fever?

Deca durabolin is an anabolic steroid (similar to the hormone testosterone). It is used to treat anemic (low RBC) in some cases. Long term use of anabolic steroids can cause liver damage.

Liver can heal, so liver damage may be reversible. I would treat with an antioxidant called SAMe which has been shown to help with liver damage. The herb Milk Thistle is also helpful for treating liver damage.

The low RBC may be due to the tick fever and I would still be treating him with something like doxycycline.

Let me know if this helps and what other questions I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 8 months ago.

I did not hear back from you; how is Shadow doing? I hope you were able to see my response to your question. Let me know if I can answer any more of your questions.