Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My dog ate 2 strips of raw bacon 2 hours ago. What should I

Customer Question

My dog ate 2 strips of raw bacon 2 hours ago. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your situation with Schatzi. Is she acting normally since eating the bacon? Any vomiting?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She is acting normally. No vomiting.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She is currently laying on her side which is normal for this time of day.
Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

Ok, that is great news. I would just recommend continuing to monitor her then. It is quite possible, if she doesn't have a sensitive stomach, that she will have not ill effects from eating this bacon. Some dogs do have a more sensitive stomach and may experience vomiting or diarrhea. The things we worry about with raw meat include bacterial contamination and in pork a worm called trichinella. Luckily with just a one time ingestion of raw meat, unless we are unlucky, the risks are low. But, because there is a risk, if she does develop vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, lethargy, or decreased appetite, I would recommend bringing her in for her vet to examine her.

Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions! If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and best of luck to you and your pup!
Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

Just checking to see how your dog was doing today? Did she get an upset stomach at all?