PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

TERRIR ,,I HAVE A YORKY AND HE IS IN GOOD HEALTH ,BUT HE

Customer Question

TERRIR ,,I HAVE A YORKY AND HE IS IN GOOD HEALTH ,BUT HE DOES THIS THING LIKE HE SPINS AROUND INA CIRCL ABOUT 30 SECONDS AND I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY,HE IS NOT SICK BUT HE HAS DONT IT A FEW TIMES ,IS THERE SOMETHING I CAN DO?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.

Does he sit and spin, JACustomer, or is he standing?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
HE IS STANDING
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
IM CONCERN BUT I DONT HAVE THE MONEY TO SPEND ,ON PHONE CALL,AND NO HE JUST SPINS AT ANY TIME AND THEN HE STOPS ,HE STARTS FOR NO REASON.

I understand. The website offers phone calls to everyone. You are not obligated to accept. We can continue talking online.

It sounds like the spinning may be compulsive behavior for him. There's more information here: http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/guide/compulsive-behavior-dogs

There are a wide variety of reasons that a dog might do this including genetics, how they were trained or raised, excitement, stress, etc. Random spinning is often compulsive and may require medical intervention. Some dogs will spin so much that they begin to harm themselves.

At home, you can work on training him out of this behavior.

1) Additional exercise.
2) Mentally stimulating games like finding a hidden treat.
3) Play dates with other dogs and people.

There are also desensitization exercises you can try here: http://pets.thenest.com/make-dogs-stop-spinning-9835.html

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
HAVE TO WORK ON THIS I WILL GET IN TOUCH IF THERE IS MORE EPESODES.

Yes, please do let me know. You are able to contact me back on this thread without further charge even after accepting my answer. Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.