PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My mutt mostly English springer tripped and fell up the

Customer Question

My mutt mostly English springer tripped and fell up the stairs. He now has a large soft palpable lump in the inner aspect but top of his left leg. He can bear weight by lying down whined and let out a cry earlier which drew my attention to it. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

Hi, JACustomer. Thanks for your question.

Do you have a picture of this lump? Is it bruised? How did Clyde land? On his lower half?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Correct he land on back paws with front legs extended straight out. Does not appear bruised has not cried since initial. Picture not great
But about 6cm in diameter soft lump and doesn't appear to hurt when I touch it but is limping slightly. He is overweight also but no medical problems.

He doesn't sound critical, so a visit to the ER this evening would be wise but not an obligation. The tenderness that he's having is expected in a more senior dog that took a fall. Kennel rest (no jumping or climbing, if it can be avoided) would be ideal in allowing the soft tissue to begin to heal itself. The more active he is the more likely he will injure it. If he's prone to running outside, leash walks only for at least the next few days. If he's not markedly improved by tomorrow morning, I would go ahead and have him seen to get some canine-safe NSAIDs started for him. If he's not on these already, using them long-term may prevent another spill. If he is, your vet may wish to do a short term pain medication regimen for him, as well.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Checking in. How are things going for you and your companion?

I'm just following up on our conversation about Clyde. How is everything going?