Dr. M. Brink
Dr. M. Brink, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) and BSc (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology)
94581128

How is the best way to a very large abcess on my dog "wrist"

Customer Question

How is the best way to lance a very large abcess on my dog "wrist" joint in which our vet quickly diagnosed as cancered & wanted to amputehis shoulder to leg etc on my 11 yr llld BElgian Terv
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. M. Brink replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Brink. I will do my best to give you more information about Kosmo. How long has the mass been present for? How large is it? Did your local veterinarian run any tests or take any radiographs (xrays)?

There are some types of cancer that are very common in older patients in the area that you are describing. It is critical that you do not attempt to lance it yourself as you don't have sterile equipment, a sterile operating space and appropriate pain medication to use. If you have questions about the diagnosis, you can always get an appointment with another local vet for a second opinion.

With the information that you have given, I would want to palpate the mass, and then possibly take a FNA (fine needle aspirate) sample and/or some x-rays of the area to determine what the mass is most likely to be made up of. Does that make sense? Do you have any other questions?

If you do not have any other questions, please rate me as that is the only way that I receive any compensation for my time and expertise! If you do need more information, don't hesitate to ask. I check on the status of questions at least twice/day. I wish you and Kosmo all the best.