PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

My mini Doxie has been diagnosed with inflamitory bowel

Customer Question

My mini Doxie has been diagnosed with inflamitory bowel disease with symptoms including diarrhea, acid reflux, and nausea...the nausea was exhibited by lip licking. None of the typical veterinary options had helped her. I recently met with a holistic vet and have since put her on a raw food diet made by a company called "Answers" that includes raw beef with bone broth and goats milk. Her symptoms have all but disappeared and she seems much better but she is still exhibiting nausea.
Any thoughts?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 3 months ago.

This is actually a pretty common situation with pets, both cats and in dogs. The idea here is to place the pet on a diet that has very little filler and other additives that can inflame the GI tract. Remove these items, the symptoms often resolve within days, at most weeks.

The licking that she's exhibiting, if due to IBD, may be something that resolves over time if the inflammation was that profound. It is said that it takes a full 16-20 weeks before one can judge a diet for how well it will work for the pet. Her symptoms overall have improved greatly, but it sounds like more time is needed for the lip licking to reside. If you haven't made it to the 16-20 week mark yet, keep going. If you have, I would talk to your holistic vet about what was used in the past to see if there are options available for the future. They may want to try some antacids, probiotics along with the raw diet or even trying some clay to calm the GI tract down further. See more info here:

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.