Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I think my dog has pancreatitis again. He had it two months

Customer Question

I think my dog has pancreatitis again. He had it two months ago and my Vet had him take 250 mg of Clavamox 2x a day. I have some Clavamox because when he was on it before, I mislaid h
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?
Customer: his pills and went to the vet to get more. Can I give him one tonight and call the vet in the morning?
JA: Where does The seem to hurt?
Customer: His stomach hurts when you touch him and he was hesitant to eat his dinner and is now just laying down.
JA: OK. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help The. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about The?
Customer: This is the same way he acted before with pancreatitis
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

You certainly can but please note that pancreatitis in dogs is considered to be a sterile disease. Antibiotics have failed to show any benefit in human patients with pancreatitis. In addition, dogs with pancreatitis rarely have infectious complicationq of pancreatitis. Therefore, antibiotic therapy should only be implemented when there's a specific suspicion for a concurrent infectious disease or an infectious complication of pancreatitis (e.g., aspiration pneumonia).

Withholding food and administering an antacid such as over the counter famotidine dosed at 0.5 mg/lb and repeated in 12 hours would likely be more helpful to him. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.