Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My lab is losing hair it looks like someone shaved the back

Customer Question

My lab Bailey is losing hair it looks like someone shaved the back of her neck. I thought it was her collar causing it so I removed it but than I noticed some hair loss on her chest. It started to happen after my husband left the home for a long business trip. She has been eating the same food long before this happened. I did stop giving her table food which he does when home. Help I am stuck at home because of my health issues tried to get vet to come to home. thank you Debbie
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

Debbie, how old is Bailey? Is she pruritic (itchy)? Are you seeing any other worrisome symptoms - lethargy, exercise intolerance, weight gain, e.g.? Is the skin in these areas abnormal in any way? Can you upload a photo(s) of these areas to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She is 16 years old have been giving her vitamins and meds for her back having trouble walking up steps. She is still eating and drinking water and going regurally.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
she is not itchy at all that is why I did not notice anything until I gave her a bath and was petting her

Thank you. At her advanced age, hypothyroidism should be an important differential diagnosis particularly if you've noticed her slowing down in and above what you would expect at 16 years of age. A simple T4 (total thyroid) blood test will tell you if she's hypothyroid. If so, supplementing her with thyroid hormone twice daily should be helpful. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Going to take some pictures for you will be back. She is doing well for her age big appetite and loves walking outside with the ducks. Just not able to jump up like she use too.

I'll watch for your next post.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?