Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My dog has had antibiotics and prednisone. s scratching

Customer Question

My dog has had antibiotics and prednisone. His scratching stopped whilst on medication but as soon as he finished it came back he is a Maremma and he lives outside and sleeps in the garage. He is very hard for strangers to get near or touch so I had to get the vet to come look at him from a distance at home. He has an allergy of some kind I have played around with his diet decreased taken away etc etc apart from starving him there doesn't seem to be a food allergy. He will be two in September.
I heard of an allergy whereby if the skin and coat are moist and hot it can cause a bacterial infrection he is always hot and moist. My last dog didn't suffer like this at all I am worried
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 3 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog! Has your vet tried any other medications on your dog? It sounds like he likely suffers from atopic dermatitis if your vet doesn't suspect that a food allergy may be involved (has your vet advised you of certain diets to try ?). Here is an article on this condition:

There are a few drugs that can be effective in these guys, including Atopica and Apoquel. Other long term options include allergy testing and allergy shots.