Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing, Veterinarian
Experience:  General veterinarian with a special interest in internal medicine and emphasis on individualized care.

Can I give my shitz shu an enema?

Customer Question

Can I give my shitz shu an enema?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 3 months ago.

Hi there,

Enemas are not advised for dogs except under the supervision of a veterinarian. It is suprisingly easy to cause damage to the colon when performing an enema. Sometimes this just result in bleeding and discomfort, but more serious injuries during enema administration can result in infection and even death. Instead, for an at home remedy to address constipation, I would suggest plain canned pumpkin at 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight twice mixed with food OR 1/8 teaspoon of Miralax per 10 pounds of body weight over the counter stool softener twice daily.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful. Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if you have more questions or would like additional information. It is my goal to provide you with the most complete information possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.