Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog squeals when he first then after he he keeps trying

Customer Question

My dog squeals when he first poops then after he poops he keeps trying to poop more but cant
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Milo he is 8 years old and a morkie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Milo?
Customer: He has a great appetite loves to eat. But that is the only issue Im having
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

Are his feces hard or loose? Do they every look compressed or ribbon like?

Is he castrated?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He' been like this for two weeks or more. His first poop is hard then after a loose. First one compressed then the rest ribbon like. No he is not castrated.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ive also feed him pumpkin and bran cereal in his food. He eats it well. No problem eating.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Oh dear,

Now as I am sure you can appreciate, we can see issues with passing stool for a range of reasons. Still, with Milo's signs at his age and the appearance of his stool, I am concerned that all of this is secondary to an enlarged prostate. Older uncastrated dogs are very prone to benign enlargement of the prostate and when this happens if compresses the gut making it harder for them to go and sometimes makes them feel like they need to when there is no feces present (as well his looser stool could be inflaming the colon to cause that straining too). As well, though less common, we can also see this with prostatic abscesses, tumors, and compression of the gut from other organs.

In this case, the fiber was a good start, but we'd also want to use a GI lubricant to ease his passing stool. So, you can give him a dose of OTC cat hairball remover or use a few milliters of Latulose or Miralax for him. Otherwise, we will want his vet to examine him and perform a rectal examination. If they find just enlargement, castration (removal of the testicles or chemical castration by injection) can help shrink the prostate and stop these signs. Otherwise, if infection is found then antibiotics may be needed and further care if a tumor or other enlarged organs was discovered.

Overall, all of Milo's signs together suggest not a primary gut issue but instead a potential compression of the intestines potentially by his prostate. So, we'd want to add in a GI lubricant to keep him going comfortably but would want to have this checked at this stage.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He is neutered. Didn't know castrated meant neutered. I apologize
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

No, no worries if I confused you there.

Though if he is neutered, the prostate enlarged for those other reasons and gut compression from other organs or masses would become more of a concern. So, we'd still want that checked but may need to consider an ultrasound if your vet finds any other organs pressing on the non-rigid gut.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks so much. I will start him on lactulose to see how that works out and definitely make an appointment to see the vet.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

That sounds like a good plan of action.

Best wishes for Milo,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )