Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Within the last week my dog has been off, she's been a

Customer Question

Within the last week my dog has been off, she's been a little lazy she seems a little down or sad. Bowel movements are okay and she's urinating. No vomiting but she has been breathing heavily. No drooling I've kept her out of the heat and she's still gets up to greet me but the panting seems to be getting worse, is there anything could recommend?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Is she eating and drinking normally?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
About 100breaths per minute no retching or gagging some lip licking and a little drooling not much
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Gums are pink and sticky
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Breath rate about 100 per minture
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Oh dear!

That respiratory rate is much too high for Beanie. At rest, this should be @20-30 bpm. So, while I am glad her gums are pink, I am concerned that she may not be doing much due to having to focus so much on just breathing. And having to do so often will cause them to be depressed and lethargic. As well, it is a worry that her gums are sticky, since that is a red flag of dehydration starting to creep in.

Now the heat won't be the cause but often will bring out other issues as it is here. Common reasons for these kinds of changes at her age include heart disease, bronchitis, pneumonia, and even lung tumors. With this all in mind, we are unfortunately in a position where little can be done at home. If she was my patient, I'd want her seen urgently for oxygen to ease her breathing and then possibly xrays to see what is going on in her chest and thus be able to address this as effectively as we can for her.

In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or

www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you so much I appreciate this ��