PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My puppy almost 5 months old is breathing really fast while

Customer Question

My puppy almost 5 months old is breathing really fast while she is sleeping
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Foxy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Foxy?
Customer: She did chew up a plastic frisbee just the outer edge. I don't if she ate any it's an old frisbee from Petco
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I already signed up and paid
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
25 minutes ago it said I would have my answer! Good night!
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern.

How is Foxy doing at this time?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She vomitted just a while ago and the yellow plastic frissby came up. She tried to poop last night sure if she did after she vomitted.

The increased breathing pattern tells us that she's uncomfortable and likely nauseated. Unfortunately, because she vomited up plastic there's every reason to believe that the potential for a gastric foreign body is present. This would happen if some of the frisbee were to block her intestines partially or fully and could require surgery.

I can give you some things to try at home to help with the nausea and help move the small pieces through, but if she continues to vomit she's going to need to have some additional diagnostics performed at your vet's office to determine the extend of this issue.

The first thing is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can buy the brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy