Ana Bascunan
Ana Bascunan,
Experience:  Small Animal Surgery Resident at University of Florida

My 9 year English dog had a few seizures that resemble

Customer Question

My 9 year English bull dog had a few seizures that resemble epilepsy.
During the ephisodes he drulls a lot, his body shakes, his eyes are out of focus and his legs are positioned in a weird way
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Ana Bascunan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I'm happy to help answer your question about Ramon. I'm sorry to hear that he's having seizure-like activity at home. How many episodes has he had and how far apart are they?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks. I witnessed two in the last two months. He may have had more since he spends most of the daytime at home alone.
What should I do? Any medication? Treatment?

Thanks for your response. I believe the first step in this process is to determine whether Ramon is having true seizure activity. Seizure symptoms can occasionally be mistaken for symptoms of cardiovascular disease or electrolyte imbalance, for example. I recommend that the next time you see Ramon having an episode, grab your phone and shoot a video. Videos of the episodes are extremely helpful for veterinarians in distinguishing between the different conditions. I also recommend keeping a log of the episodes (date, time, length of episode, and any triggering events you notice). This will help in determining whether therapy is necessary or not.

Generally speaking, seizures can be caused by disease within the skull (intracranial) or systemic disease with secondary effects on the brain (extra cranial). Examples of diseases within the skull include epilepsy, infectious or non-infectious inflammatory disease (meningitis), and neoplasia (brain, meningeal, or bone tumors). Examples of systemic diseases that can cause secondary brain effects include liver disease, kidney disease, and systemic infections. In order to rule out systemic disease (which may be treatable and may therefore resolve the seizures), blood work and physical exam should be done by Ramon's general practice veterinarian. As long as systemic causes are ruled out, we assume intracranial (within the skull) disease. If desired, intracranial disease can be further characterized by advanced diagnostic testing with a veterinary neurologist. Examples of advanced testing include MRI and CSF (spinal) tap/fluid sampling. Specific diagnosis of intracranial disease can guide treatment recommendations (for example we treat meningitis differently than epilepsy), but generally dogs with intracranial disease will be managed with some variety of anti-convulsant medication. You may have heard of a common one called phenobarbital, but there are several other medications available now that may work well for Ramon.

The best place to start is with Ramon's general veterinarian, and if you are interested in referral or advanced diagnostics, they can refer you to a neurologist in your area. :)

I wish you both the best!

Do you have any further questions regarding Ramon?

Hi Joe,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ramon. How is everything going?