Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

15 year old girl, dx with mass cell ca in Jan. Surgery doing

Customer Question

15 year old ***** ***** girl, dx with mass cell ca in Jan. Surgery doing okay, but she pants on car rides and at night before she goes to bed. Is it okay to give her pain meds.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: Increase panting on car rides and right before she goes to bed.
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: She doesn't seem to hurt anywhere, although since she is older I am sure she probably has arthritis which may cause her panting.
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Libby age 15.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Libby?
Customer: She did have a somewhat low tsh level, but vet said not too worry, but maybe this could be the reason of increase panting.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry to hear Libby is having these panting episodes. I would be more inclined to believe they are stress related versus pain since they are also in the car which would not be when we typically see pain causes

With her age my suspicion would be canine cognitive changes because they do most commonly occur in the evenings...

Below is more information on this condition, called canine cognitive disorder:

There are treatments for this that can help in supplement form but also in some situations medications as well.

1.) Melatonin can help with barking or increased movement at night

2.) Proneurozone which is a supplement for brain function that can help with mental clarify in senior pets. It is available through your veterinarian but also on-line at stores like

3.) Fish oil is essential for brain function and used at higher doses to help cognitive function. For example, for your dog's size 1000 mg EPA & DHA daily. This can be a human formula

4.) Anipryl which is a medication used for cognitive function if the above options are not helping

5.) Alprazolam (xanax) is used for episodes of anxiety not controlled by conventional methods. Not intended for daily use but is effective as needed (in the diazepam or valium family)

6.) Donepezil 10 mg is a newer option used in human Alzheimer’s patients and is receiving attention by some veterinarians for cognitive dysfunction that we see in dogs as well as in humans. The dose ranges from 10-30 mg (1.5 mg/kg average) daily

These are all methods that your veterinarian would have available to you to assist with some of the cognitive issues and some that you should be able to purchase at a local vitamin store or on-line

I hope the above options are helpful to you but if I can assist with clarifying anything or guiding any further questions you might have please don't hesitate to ask. You certainly can see if the panting does resolve with pain medication on a trial basis of a week or so and if there is no change then consider the above. I am online another 15 minutes if I can assist with additional questions

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you