Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

I have a female great Pyrenees who started acting funny

Customer Question

I have a female great Pyrenees who started acting funny today, loss of appetite, wouldn't run or play,drank very little water and is now very weak, she's got bad diahrea, any suggestions?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your Great Pyrenees girl. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. Makita's symptoms are certainly quite concerning, however there are quite a number of possible causes for her symptoms including anything from an infectious cause (quite possible given bad diarrhea), to a toxicity or even an internal organ problem. If she is quite weak and lethargic right now, then there is no question that you should do what you can to get your girl checked over by your local ER vet now if possible. For now, the real concern is that she is quite dehydrated. The combination of bad diarrhea alongside decreased water intake definitely makes this very likely. Do what you can now to encourage your girl to have a good drink of fresh water. If she isn't at all interested, then you may need to try and tempt her with a luke-warm chicken broth, and if she is only drinking small amounts of that, then you are best to get her to your local ER vet for IV fluids.

For now, start her on a bland diet for the next few days. Cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice is ideal for this, and you can start her on this from tomorrow morning. If she seems a little nauseous right now, you may also want to try her with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

In the meantime, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with Makita and if she remains weak and lethargic in the next half hour or so, you are certainly better off playing it safe and getting her checked over by your local ER vet. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.