Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My dog has had seizures since 1 year old she is 7 now. She

Customer Question

My dog has had seizures since 1 year old she is 7 now. She just had a 45 minute seizure? She normalized now, but is there anything else I should do. This is the worst one she has ever had.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Lana
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lana?
Customer: She's a 7 year old shiba nu
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 months ago.

I am very sorry to hear about the seizures. Sometimes, it is not the seizure that is actually lasting that length of time, but a specific period that occurs "after" the seizure called the post-ictal period.

Nonetheless, if she is having really long seizures, that is a serious risk for permanent damage to her. Therefore, seizure medication should be started immediately, and basic testing performed to ensure she is currently okay.

There are many seizure medications with phenobarbital and potassium bromide being the most common, and quite effective. Other drugs are keppra and zonisamide. Your vet will have their own preferences for what they may want to start under these circumstances.

Hope that information helps

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?