Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My fox terrier 7 lbs ate 5mg methimazole, Mini 1.5 years,

Customer Question

My fox terrier 7 lbs ate 5mg methimazole
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your fox terrier will be able to digest that. What is the fox terrier's name and age?
Customer: Mini 1.5 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mini?
Customer: Not yet 2 years
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: No she is healthy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today.

Friend, a single dose of 5mg Methimazole will not be life threatening to a 7 lbs dog. You may see symptoms like vomiting or lethargy otherwise he will be fine. I would keep an eye on Mini, if he vomits this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.