Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Just noticed my ant bait is in the wrong place. My dog bit

Customer Question

just noticed my ant bait is in the wrong place. My dog bit it open,it must have happened within the last 12 hours. do i make him throw up with hydrogen peroxide
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did Bait eat anything unusual?
Customer: it was a liquid ant bait stake with .25 fluid oz of sodium tetraborate decahydrate
JA: How old is Bait?
Customer: my dog Rudy is going to be 4 on Sept 10 and weights 16#
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rudy?
Customer: not that I can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did he eat any of the plastic?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
a small portion of plastic is gone but i have not looked in the backyard yet

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, tetraborate has a wide safety margin in dogs, at most you may see mild gastrointestinal symptoms like vomiting. But, if he only bit into it I doubt you will see any symptoms. The main concern is the plastic, but, if it is a very small piece it possible he will defecate it. No need to induce vomting, this is what you can do:

1- Change his diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help pass the plastic in the feces.

2- If during the next 2-3 days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a possible obstruction of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe and change his diet as above then wean him back into his regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter