Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

I believe my dog ate a bar of soap on Friday night. last day

Customer Question

I believe my dog ate a bar of soap on Friday night. For the last day and a half she has had severe diarrhea and some of it is bloody. What can I do? She eats her food and seems to be keeping it down, very alert and active.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Nicco. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 4 - 5 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. It certainly sounds like Nicco has developed a moderate enteritis as a result of ingesting this soap, and you are seeing some nasty bloody diarrhea as a result. It is great to hear she is able to keep her food down at the moment given this ingestion. For the next few days, it will be extremely important to keep your girl's fluids up. Make sure she has plenty of fresh water available and continue to encourage her to drink. If she isn't drinking much, then you may be able to encourage her more by making up a fresh chicken broth. For now, you are best to start her on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice for the next 3 - 4 days if you can. This bland diet will be gentle on her stomach and intestinal tract and will hopefully allow her to absorb some nutrients despite this diarrhea.

For now, you may also want to try her with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

If this diarrhea has not improved by tomorrow, you will need to get Nicco along to your local vet. I would also recommend you take a fresh fecal sample with you so they can test this to ensure there isn't a concurrent infectious cause here. Also make sure your girl is up to date with her deworming treatments as well. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.