Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc

My dog ate a rotissiere chicken carcass around lunch time

Customer Question

my dog ate a rotissiere chicken carcass around lunch time today while i was out - he got into the trash first time in ages - i just spoke to my sister and she said he could die??? do i need to take him to the emergency vet??? he is acting normal although seems to be panting a bit more than usual - he ate his dinner today and everything else as normal - just pooped like normal!! now i am freaking out like i am going to kill my dog. the vet is far away and as we all know - emergency vets are SO much more $$ :( not sure what to do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your boy Red. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. While it is a worry that Red managed to eat an entire chicken carcass, if he is currently acting normal, then this isn't an emergency right now. The main concerns with this ingestion is that he could have choked on the bones - but if he is breathing fine and acting normally, then that isn't the case. Th other worry is that the bones he has ingested could become stuck in his intestinal tract, or that if the meat/bones had been in the trash for a while, that he could develop an infectious gastroenteritis. So - although the potential concerns here aren't pressing, you will certainly need to continue to keep a close eye on Red over the next couple of days. If your boy goes off food, start vomiting, seems to be constipated, or even has diarrhea, then you will need to get him seen. It may potentially take 24 - 48 hours for these symptoms to develop as the carcass bones start making their way through his GI tract. If these symptoms occur, then your local vet will need to examine your boy and take several xrays to see if he could have a GI obstruction.

For now, you may also want to try him with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here:

In the meantime to ensure he is ok right now, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with Red, and hopefully these bones pass through without any issue. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.