PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I have a Chihuahua that is nine years old and she starting

Customer Question

I have a Chihuahua that is nine years old and she starting to get dark spots all over her face and some on her body. Also she's been randomly just jumping in the bathtub by herself for no reason and I don't know why she's doing it. I'm worried about her
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Sometimes I don't know where this is happening for a few years now she'll start tightening up her whole body with your face in the air if she makes this weird noise like she can't breathe it's like she's having a seizure or something
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 9 months ago.

Hi, JACustomer. Do you have a photograph to share of the dark spots on her face? Also, when was the last time that blood work was performed on her?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She hasn't had any blood work done
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hasn't had any blood work done
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Here's another one. Kinda hard to see u can really see them when she's wet

Thanks for the reply, JACustomer, and the additional info.

The spots you're seeing are common in dogs and similar to age spots in people. Unless they become raised, changed color, shape or size quickly, there should be no reason to worry.

As far as her jumping into the bath tub, this is usually water-seeking behavior and can indicate underlying illness like kidney disease. If you're worried, I would go ahead and have blood work performed to ensure that this is not the case for her.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What about the my other question sometime she can becomes very stiff if she's got her head raised a pie and she's making like this weird noise like she can't breathe and she kind a looks like she's smiling when she's doing it is that a seizure she's having

Thanks for your reply, JACustomer. I'm sorry for the delay. It appears that some of the customers I have been responding to these last few days have received pieces of my response missing. Here's that missing piece:

The very stiff behavior could certainly be a seizure. Grand mal seizures are commonly characterized by a full loss of consciousness. So, if she stays standing and is able to look around during this episode, chances are it may be a petite mal or something entirely different. The best bet would be to try to catch it on video and share it with your vet at her next visit. Blood work is needed when potential seizures are observed as well, to ensure that nothing underlying may be causing the events.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Do you have any idea what the cost may be

That varies greatly across the USA. In some areas, blood work may be as cheap as $75 or as expensive as $400. If you live in a more urban area near a larger city, you'll be apt to pay more. If you're in a more rural area, less.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok thank you last question this was just a onetime fee of $19 correct?

I can ensure that it is.

I, like you, am a user of the site. You come with questions, I come to answer those questions. I don't, for that reason, see anything about billing. But I can contact customer service once our discussion is done to ensure that the payment is not revolving.