Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have an 11 lb poodle, almost 15 years old. She has had

Customer Question

I have an 11 lb poodle, almost 15 years old. She has had trachea collapse for a few years. Now, we have discovered also that she has a very enlarged heart. She has been coughing constantly at times...different from the trachea collapse cough, choke and gag. There is not any fluid in her lungs...just had an x-ray. The vet tells me she will get congestive heart failure and at that time, will start medication. From what I have seen...congestive heart failure in my father's case...very uncomfortable.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the poodle's name?
Customer: Misty...rescue who was very ill when we got her at 2 years from a puppy mill that had tossed her out, bleeding from both ends...a shelter picked her up. She is the sweetest, dearest girl ever! Washes her face with her paw. Never caused a moment's trouble. I also rescued two Bichon later.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Misty?
Customer: No, he has seen her since we got her 12 years ago at age 2.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.

This combination of tracheal collapse and an enlarged heart is an unfortunately common thing in older small breed dogs. Can you tell me if she is on any medications at all right now?