Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.

My dog ate grease from the barbeque and is throwing-up allot

Customer Question

My dog ate grease from the barbeque and is throwing-up allot what do I do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.

Eating fat or grease can trigger pancreatitis in dogs. Unlike simple stomach upset, pancreatitis can cause profound vomiting that often requires hospitalization to treat the associated dehydration and IV antinausa medication. I know that it is sunday, but would really recommend finding an emergency veterinarian to treat him today. Waiting can make it worse. If you are unable to find an emergency veterinarian today then I would focus on keeping him hydrated.

First, with hold all food. Next, give him very small amount of dilute chicken broth every 30 minutes to an hour. Start small... such as 1 TBSP. If he holds it down he can have more, up to 1/4 cup at a time. If he can no hold down or will not drink even small amounts of liquid then he really needs to see a veterinarian. If he holds down the clear fluids for 12 hours you can try small amounts of rice with chicken after that. There isn't any medications you can give at home that will help... anything you put in his stomach is likely to trigger vomiting.

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions let me know. Also, please don't for get to rate my answer once our conversation is complete.