Jennifer Welsh
Jennifer Welsh,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Banfield Pet Hospital

I have a German Shepard 3 yrs. old. About 3 times a month he

Customer Question

I have a German Shepard 3 yrs. old. About 3 times a month he has these spells. His mussels harden up and he's in a ball for about 3-5 min., and can't get up. Please help.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jennifer Welsh replied 3 months ago.

Hello! I am Dr Welsh and I am happy to help with your questions today. I am sorry that your pup isn't feeling well. Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this. I have just a few additional questions for you so that I can make the best recommendation.

how does he act afterwards?

eating and drinking normal otherwise?

is he responsive to his name when this is happening?

any current meds or illness?

any chance he could have gotten into anything?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He is fine after he has one. After he has one, he's very thirsty. No its like he is paralized,can't move,his head is bobbing and eyes wide open. I rub his hind legs and head,talk to him till they pass. No meds or illness. He is a outside dog and we live in the country. But seems to be having them more often.

i am sorry i stepped away from my computer for a little bit.
thank you for that additional information. what you are describing sounds like seizures. the frequency that he is having them would warrant medication at this point. I would recommend a vet visit for baseline bloodwork and thyroid to rule out other causes, but usually dogs this age ends up being idiopathic epilepsy (no cause found).
the goal of medications is to reduce the frequency in which he has seizures, but is it not realistic to think he may never have them before. but they should be able to be reduced with medication.

there are several different kinds of meds, phenobarbital, bromides, zonisamide, keppra, etc. there are pros and cons to each meds and monitoring requirements, your regular vet should be able to go over all of those with you.

does this answer your questions? is there anything else I can answer for you?