Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I have a 12.5 year old Belgian shepherd thar is on

Customer Question

I have a 12.5 year old Belgian shepherd thar is on antibiotics for an open pyometra. I cannot have her spayed because she also has bladder cancer that has gone into the lymph nodes. I did not have her spayed because I adopted her from a breeder when she was 10 and had not been looked after very well and not in very good shape when I got her. I made the very hard decision not to have her spayed at that age because of age and trauma sheer had been through. Now it seems we are both paying a price for that decision. I blame myself. Anyway. I am so stuck as to what to do. My Question right now is will the discharge from her uterus ever stop. It has been coming for about three weeks now. I am worried the cervix may close. As I said she is on the right antibiotics for e coli
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

To anser you directly, "perhaps". It's important to recognize that pyometra is not simply an infection. There is a predisposing endometrial hyperplasia that needs to resolve for complete resolution and that's accomplished by luteolysis (destruction of the corpus lutea - the structures that egg follicules that have already ovulated become and produce progesterone). Luteolysis can be accomplished in a number of ways but in such a fragile patient I would consider a dopamine agonist such as cabergoline or bromocriptine or a progesterone receptor antagonist such as mifepristone or aglepristone. Please discuss these treatments with Bailee's vet. The drugs can be difficult to obtain depending upon where you live.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can I talk with you tomorrow morning. I am getting rather desperate. Thank you for responding I didn't even think my question went through. Anyway this is hard this way. Can you tell me if there is a way I could speak with you tomorrow

You can return to this conversation at your convenience. I have to leave my computer for the night but I'll watch for your next post in the morning. I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.