Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

My dog has sever swelling and bleeding on s gum line and

Customer Question

my dog has sever swelling and bleeding on his gum line and fever last night. he is only 11 month old.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: the bleeding started Saturday.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.

Do you happen to have a picture of the gums? Gums that bleed with no underlying cause can be a sign of an underlying clotting or bleeding disorder. Bleeding disorders, whether from something external like rat bait poison or internal, like a genetic or immune mediate cause, can be very serious so I would definitely consider having some bloodwork checked for clotting disorders.

However, in a young dog, if there is redness and swelling in addition to the bleeding then there is probably an underlying cause and it is most likely something that he is chewing on that he might be allergic too.... that could trigger the inflammation. With the fever I would also consider that there might be an underlying infection. How high was the fever? Some viral infections can affect the gums, but it is not very common. It is also possible to get swollen gums and a fever from chewing on an electric cord.

Honestly I would start by having a veterinarian check those clotting times. If the are normal then he probably needs some antibiotics at a minimum and just a good exam to make sure there isn't something else wrong. And I would look around and see if there are things he is chewing on that might be a problem.

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions I can helps with please let me know.