Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My dog was fine last night and this morning he is unable to

Customer Question

My dog was fine last night and this morning he is unable to walk on his hind legs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes I have. It seems to hurt him when I push in his legs towards his hips
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sebastian 1 year and 3 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sebastian?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- What breed is Sebastian?

2- Is he dragging his back legs?

3- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He's border collie and Australian cattle dog
Not dragging his back legs. He's able to stand on them for brief periods. Had difficulty jumping onto the bed. He appears lethargic. Didn't want to eat until I fed it to him by hand

1- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Diarrhea yesterday

1- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

2- Can you take his rectal temperature?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
101.4. I sent a pic of his gums

Thank you his gums look fine; his temperature is normal (99.5-102.5 F). Please give me a few minutes to type your answer.

Friend, when a dog is not able or unwilling to walk in the hind limbs this could be a sign of a neuromuscular disorder like a pinched nerve along the back as a result of a bulging disc. However, in this case he had diarrhea yesterday and is lethargic so we also have to consider weakness as a result of being ill. So, there are many possible causes in this case; on history alone it will be nearly impossible to determine the exact underlying cause. But, common causes are: Ingestion of a foreign body, a slipped disc, infections, etc. to name a few causes.

In this case, to determine the exact underlying cause Sebastian is going to need a hands on examination by a veterinarian, blood work and xrays as initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. Do Not give over the counter pain killer, most are toxic to dogs and will interfere with certain medication attending veterinarian may need to use. If you have access to ER veterinarian I would have him checked today, important to rule out neuromuscular disorders as described above; the sooner he is treated the better the prognosis.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.