Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Our dog ate cooked shrimp the day before yesterday and he

Customer Question

Our dog ate cooked shrimp the day before yesterday and he has ate it before just fine but he was having runny stools yesterday and really lethargic. This morning he doesn't seem to be any better. Is there some medication that might help him. He is not eating but we can get him to drink a little water
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Did the shrimp have shells on?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting? Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

What does the loose stool look like? Any blood?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Loose stools I haven't seen him vomit. Late last night there was blood in his stool. So far he has kept water down last night and this morning. We carry him outside and he just sits. He seems really weak
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you,

How much blood was it? A spoonful or more?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I would say more than a spoonful
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

If it has been more, can you give me a estimate of volume (since I cannot see it)?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I would say two spoonfuls It was hard to tell. Should I take him to the emergency vet. He doesn't seem to feel any better today.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad it wasn't a case of profuse bleeding there. Still, I am concerned to hear how weak he is and the blood you have seen. If he has had shrimp before, then we’d not expect a sensitivity but could see a pancreatitis from them being richer then his usual food. Otherwise, we’d be concerned of gut damage/blockage if they had shells or a potentially unrelated gut infection or colitis present.

With this in mind, if he is very dull and sore, then we may want to consider having him seen to nip this in the bud. Otherwise, you can try supportive care. To start, you can offer small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and less diarrhea. You can also add fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran) to these meals to push the shrimp through and bulk up his stools. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Further to this, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Overall, we need to tread with care here if he is feeling very poorly. Though if it was just a bit of blood on one occasion, then you can choose to use the above to see if you can get him feeling better here. Though if he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within a few hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, ensure nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be, or any sinister non-shrimp related viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat with gastroprotectants and antibiotics to settle his stomach and get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Buddy. How is everything going?