Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

Recently we had a big thunderstorm with lots of lightning

Customer Question

Recently we had a big thunderstorm with lots of lightning and loud thunder, strong winds, and heavy rain. My dog, a Chihuahua and Pomeranian mix named Bear, has been through storms before. From what I can recall, the other storms were not as bad. He's about 4 1/2 to 5 years old, and I've owned him for the last 3 years (took him in when I heard about family moving, but couldn't take dog). On the night of the big storm, Bear began to act abnormal by intensely and constantly moving about the floor, whining/crying, and periodically sitting at attention in a few repeated spot with no apparent significance. It was relentless, going on and on, and many different attempts to calm/stop him were useless, and he would scramble about until he broke free. Even when the storm calmed for awhile and then quit later that night, he continued his ways, although in a lighter mode, until late the next morning. Then he was back to normal and fine. Is there any advice on what to do if this happens again during a thunderstorm? Medication vs. other options? Nothing I can do but wait it out?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sally G. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome. This is just a short note to introduce myself or to request needed information for your problem. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

Was he acting nervous or anxious during the storm?

Has this ever happened at any other time since you have had him?

What is his personality like normally, is he calm, nervous, fearful etc?