Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog ate a fine, flexible wire ornament hanger. Not a

Customer Question

My dog ate a fine, flexible wire ornament hanger. Not a stiff one but very flexible. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago?

How large is your lad?

Any sharp or pointy ends to this?

How long was it?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
1 hr ago. 30 lbs. Just the wire end as cut. 2.5 inches.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you,

Now when our dogs eat these kinds of items, we do always need to tread with care.

Since Wedley just had this and this an hour ago, and wire (even flexible) can potentially cause gut damage and blockage, I have to say that the best option here would be to have him seen by the local ER vet urgently so that they can use an endoscope (a scope with a camera) to remove it before it can pass into the intestines. That way we can remove the potential for any issue here.

Otherwise, if that is not an option, we can start some supportive care while monitoring Wedley. In regards ***** ***** options, since we have a wire based item in the gut, we can take a few steps to reduce any risk of damage caused by this moving through the GI. We can start by feeding him a "Vaseline sandwich." This will sound odd but the aim here is that the bread will coat the edges and bulk up what is being passed in the gut. And that Vaseline will act as a lubricant to aid sliding this through the GI with hopefully minimal damage. To make this, you just want to spread Vaseline (or cat hairball treatment) over a piece of whole wheat bread, slather it on, and cover this with a second slice. This can then be hand fed to in pieces.

Afterwards, we will want to start him on small meals of bland food (ie cooked rice with boiled chicken/white fish or scrambled egg) for the next few days. Whichever you choose, you consider adding a spoonful of canned pumpkin to the meals. The fiber in the pumpkin will further encourage the wire to move through the GI. As well, cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Latulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) can also be added to these meals to help it slip through.

While encouraging passage of this material, you do want to keep a close eye on him. Specifically, we need to keep an eye out for any belly tenderness or pain when you press on his stomach, pale gums, straining to pass feces, passing blood in vomit or stools, appetite loss, restlessness, or black feces. If you did see any of these; then those are all red flags of a possible blockage or trauma and would require him to be seen urgently by your vet for an exam +/- xray.

Overall, we do always have to tread with care in situations like this. Its good that this is at least flexible and not overly sharp, but it is still a risk here. So, at this stage and in this situation, we’d want to use the above steps to encourage this to pass while we keep a close eye on him. If we can do this for the next 48 hours and see no issue, then we'd suspect we are out of the woods. Of course, if we did see any of those worrying signs, we’d be concerned and need Wedley seen urgently.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again,

How is everything going with your wee one?

Dr. B.