Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I am after some desperate assistance, my 18 mth old large

Customer Question

Hi i am after some desperate assistance, my 18 mth old large dog will not stop barking, I have used a number of controlling collars which have only made the problem worse over the last couple of months. My other problem I have is that I am using a hushed muzzle to help with the annoying barking and now that I bringing out some other problems that are now arising, eg he is starting to rebel against all that I have taught him. So now I am searching for some professional help. The worse problem I have is that I live in a small Wheatbelt town that has NO dog training facilities, and the local vets didn't really help either so I have been trying to train my dog on my own since I got him at 8 weeks old. Please can someone assist me.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sally G. replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome. This is just a short note to introduce myself or to request needed information for your problem. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.

Do you know why the dog is barking?

Where is the dog when this is happening?

Where are you when this is happening?

What commands does the dog know and listen to?

What type of activities does the dog do during the day and night to keep it busy?

What type/method of training are you doing with the dog?

What type of toys does the dog have to keep it occupied?