Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My 10 week old puppy is breathing very rapidly at night and

Customer Question

my 10 week old puppy is breathing very rapidly at night and is restless, often waking up, stretching, moving around. She will wake up panting and is breathing rapidly while asleep. Is this normal? How do I know if something is irregular? It is cool in my room, in the low 70's and she is sleeping stretched out on her side. She is an Australian Shepard, thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

Are the signs only when sleeping? Do they wake her?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?
Does she seem tender anywhere?
Since you noted that she is breathing heavy, can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?