Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

He is an older dog 10-12 years old, not sure as we got m at

Customer Question

He is an older dog 10-12 years old, not sure as we got him at a shelter. He is taking a lot of short breaths and panting a lot. does not seem to be in pain to any touch
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Riki
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Reiki?
Customer: He has a lot of warts, lumps and bumps on his body
JA: Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Tachypnea (increased respiratory rate)/panting represents both medical and behavioral problems. It's often seen with elevated ambient temperature, exercise, anxiety, or perceived pain. To confound the diagnosis further, it's also seen with fever, narcotic administration, glucocorticosteroid (prednisone, e.g.) therapy, Cushing's disease, hyperthyroidism, hypocalcemia, pheocromocytoma (an adrenal gland tumor), cardiopulmonary disease, tachyarrhythmias (fast irregular heart rates), brain disease and obesity. In general, if my patient's respiratory rate exceeds 30 breaths/minute while asleep or at rest, I want to carefully examine him. Riki's vet will want to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests and X-rays of Riki's heart and lungs.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?