Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog has a huge blister on the side of s he has lick it to

Customer Question

Hello my dog has a huge blister on the side of his butt he has lick it to where it busted and has lick through his skin has fever I have a vet that I pay on monthly fees but they r closed I can't afford 300 to 400 dollars to take to a vet right now what can I do at home to give him till Monday
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry to hear your dog is uncomfortable! It sounds one of the anal glands has abscessed and ruptured, very common in these breeds. From what you describe he will need to have your veterinarian see him on Monday to do a rectal and ensure there is nothing else going on, get him on pain medication and antibiotics

Here is more information on anal glands in dogs:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/body-structure-function/anal-glands-in-dogs

Until you are able to get this done there are a few things you can do:
- Warm compresses on the rear to help loosen the material in the glands
- Oatmeal based dog shampoo on the area twice daily x 10 minutes after the compresses to sooth the skin
- Increase the bulk of the stool with fiber such as white rice, canned pumpkin (1 tsp for her size twice daily), or supplementing the normal diet with a light formula diet
-Increase exercise with leash walks 15+ minutes 2-3 times daily to increase defecation of the larger stools
- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound given every 8 hours until you can get this taken care of but may cause mild sedation initially
- A cone or e-collar purchased at a local pet store to control the licking which introduces oral bacteria and increases risk of infection and inflammation further
- Minimize topicals which can trap in moisture and cause further distress/ pain

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!