Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.

Can my dog take ask cranberry supplement until we can get to

Customer Question

Can my dog take ask cranberry supplement until we can get to vet
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?
Customer: she's been waiting to go outside a lot to pee and when she squats noting comes out and she paces back and forth a lot
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Berkeley she's almost 2
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Berkeley?
Customer: Nothing she's utd on all shots etc
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry that Berkeley appears to have a urinary tract infection (uti).

She certainly can be given a cranberry supplement which isn't going to be at all harmful but I suspect you know that she'll require antibiotics before complete resolution of the problem is seen..if, indeed, a bladder infection is the problem (which is highly likely given her symptoms). I typically feel that these products are more effective in preventing recurrent episodes but some patient's symptoms appear to be less intense during a uti episode when they're given them during one.

If she's not currently taking steroids or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication and isn't vomiting, Aspirin may help with any bladder inflammation that's present. The dose would be 10 mgs per pound of body weight twice a day, with food to avoid stomach upset.

Encourage her to drink water or low sodium chicken/beef broth which can help to flush out the bladder.

I hope this helps. Deb