Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have 2 13 week old puppies that chewed up and ate a soft

Customer Question

I have 2 13 week old puppies that chewed up and ate a soft pumice stone. I found a few small pieces. Will these pass or should I take them to the vet?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Remi and Gandolph. Remi is a Siberian Husky and Gandolph is a Rottweiler.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Remi?
Customer: No.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How long ago did they ingest this?

How big was the pumice stone?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They are this about 15 minutes ago. It was about 5 inches long. I am sure the Husky jumped up on a shelf and took it out of the shower. The Rottie is too short to reach it. Both were chewing on bits of it when I found them.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for the information. There isn't anything toxic about the pumice stone, but it can definitely cause an obstruction if a large enough piece is chewed off. If this just happened 15-30 minutes ago, you can try inducing vomiting to see if you can clear out their stomach. Given 1 tablespoon (15 ml or 1/2 oz) of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 15 lbs of body weight orally is usually sufficient to induce vomiting. You can repeat this dose in 10 minutes if necessary. If you can get them to vomit up most of it, then chances are they will be fine. If they don't vomit any up, it would be a good idea to have them seen by the vet. The reason I would have them seen is to get an x-ray to see if there are any large pieces that may not pass through the small intestinal tract. If there are, and they are in the stomach, they may be able to retrieve them with an endoscope (they may have that available on site or may need to refer to another facility). That would be optimal to getting surgery done to remove them. If you know that you won't want to do x-rays or try retrieving larger pieces, then there just monitoring them for any vomiting, bloody stool or lack of appetite is all that would be recommended. You can even try increasing the fiber in the diet with a teaspoon of either Metamucil or pure canned pumpkin to help it pass through better. Even if it doesn't cause an obstruction, it is possible that it could cause some gastrointestinal upset. So, if you see any of the symptoms above, you would need to get them seen immediately. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.